Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Week Of Marriage Previews

Starting today, my girlfriend is staying with me for a whole week. She leaves next Wednesday. This will be the longest we've spent together, so it's going to be a very interesting look into how promising our future together looks. There's a lot one can put up with from the other during a weekend here and there, but an entire week will be a true test of our compatibility as a long-term couple. "Jacob" will be staying with his sister in Wisconsin during this time. I'm kinda nervous about this week. It sets up as a series of little episodes here and there that serve as a preview of marriage, in my mind. From deciding where to go for dinner to what movie to watch to when to step out of the house and explore the city, we're going to find out just how flexible the other person is, and whether any differences of opinion can be smoothed over neatly or potentially grow to be a problem, especially when we're in the house with each other for the next seven days no matter what. I'm probably fretting over nothing as usual, though. I don't think she's going to let this week away from her crappy job be anything less than fun and exciting, and I don't think she wants to waste time arguing or holding a grudge over something small when she knows that we're not going to see each other for a long time after this. I bet this turns out to be a great week. It'll probably be over before we know it.

No comments: