Wednesday, January 23, 2008

This Week On "The Odd Couple..."

"Jacob" is still here at my apartment, and it's Wednesday morning. Thank goodness we get along so great. Thank goodness he has good hygiene.

Jacob has had trouble finding work because after he got a rental car Monday, he found that many places that he drives to looking for work refer him back to a website and encourage him to apply online. That kinda defeats the purpose, no? He's amazed at how difficult it is to talk to someone face to face. Welcome to the 21st century. It appears that he's staying here at least until this weekend. What he wants to do is secure work, go back to Montana, pack up his shit, and come back to Chicago with employment, which will allow him to get an apartment, which is infinitely easier to find than work. He doesn't want to go back to Montana until he has a gig lined up here, but it's not easy finding work, as my thirteen months unemployed can tell you, and he's getting frustrated. What he's also getting is lucky. He's found time to line up a date with some woman he met online, so I'll actually have the place to myself this evening. See, anyone can hook up with a chick except me. I couldn't get dates when I was looking, and I had a place of my own! But before he does that, I'm putting that SUV he rented to use by going to get some furniture and groceries. And the adventure continues...

4 comments:

GrizzBabe said...

See, anyone can hook up with a chick except me.

Uh, don't you have a girlfriend?

Dre said...

Yes, but I never had success getting a date. I got a couple of hookups with loose women, and I got that ordeal with Karen, of course. But my friends can fall into dates even when their lives are turned upside down. No, I'm not bitter.

GrizzBabe said...

Do you realize how crazy it sounds to say, "I can get a girlfriend but I can't get a date"? Did you not date your girlfriend before the two of you became a couple? Unless you clubbed her over the head and forced her to go out with you, I'm assuming she did it willingly. That's a date.

You're not giving yourself (or your girlfriend) enough credit.

Dre said...

The situation with my girlfriend wasn't a "get a date" deal, it was something where she read my blog and saw things we had in common, then we talked and eventually decided to meet and see if we had any potential. I'm very happy, but it doesn't count as getting a date because that wasn't the purpose when we started talking. I have never in my life asked a woman, online or off, for a date and had any success, except for Karen, and you know how that turned out. My point was that Jacob can see someone new for dinner or coffee like a normal person even when he's going through shit, and I have never had that kind of success.